Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Modern Toilet Restaurant

This is not my fault. If you are looking to blame anyone for this post, blame the incredibly talented artist Scott Mattlin. It is all his fault. He sent me this link and I have been incredibly grossed out and hysterical about it.

And so I must pass the pain on.

The Modern Toilet is apparently a popular restaurant chain in China where you get to pretend you are in the bathroom while you are eating. You sit on gold toilets and eat out of black potties.
And the soft serve ice cream in a small urinal looks like this.

I stole this from their website. "The arrival of the “Modern Toilet Restaurant” launches the next generation of toilet-themed restaurants! More variety, better service! With new ideas and new products, our goal is to become “The No. 1 Brand in Themed Chain Restaurants” (In an age where creative marketing is king, even feces can be turned into gold!)" http://www.moderntoilet.com.tw

I have serious potty humor. I know it. You all know it. And this is perfect potty humor. But you see, that's where I've gotta draw the line. It's probably because I have serious OCD, I can laugh my ass over this concept but actually going there to eat would probably freak me out way too much!

To quote Angus, "What if someone decides to go to the bathroom as they are eating? That would be disgusting!"

Oh yes! That would be so disgusting!

20 comments:

Captain Hook said...

There truly are no words for this.

laughingwolf said...

i'm with you, el... could NOT go there to eat ANYthing....

writtenwyrdd said...

I just laughed the first time I saw this one. Because all I could think was Of course! Multitasking at it's finest!

Next thing you know they will replace my office chair with one so I get more work done.

Of course, simply denying me internet access would do THAT.

moonrat said...

ohhh my god.

you know the ancient romans used to eat over hollow seats so they could, you know... efficiently binge-eat for a longer time? yeah. actually, it's a little raunchier than that, but i'm not going to ruin your blog by fleshing out the details.

Kelly Polark said...

Wow. What will they think of next?... I don't think I'd eat there, but I do have to say I'd eat that chocolate ice cream out of that mini urinal! It looks good!

Alex Moore said...

there are no words :) thanks for the laugh.

Kimbra Kasch said...

When I look in the urinal or seat
I'm not hoping to find my meat

And, when I talk of faux-food,
I've probably got a bad attitude

but thanks for the laugh tonite
'course
I don't think I'll be taking a bite

Charles Gramlich said...

there is a bar in New Orleans called The John, where you sit on fake toilet seats. I draw the line at eating out of one though.

Lisa said...

When Scott sent this to me, the first thing I thought and apparently said out loud was "this looks like one of those crazy articles Ello finds". The next thing I knew, he wanted your email address and the rest, as they say... :)

JaneyV said...

This is like one of those nightmares I used to have when I was a kid. Ugh!

I think that my line is drawn well before the eating off a toilet too. Still if you were there you'd have to visit just to take pictures of the kind of people who would. I love this world!

Just to let you know that my feed only updated today so I missed three posts this time.

Anonymous said...

What the ...?

Whirlochre said...

If the napkins are made from recycled paper and come on a roll, I'm definitely not interested.

In my youth, I recall seeing a sketch from a European TV show where the etiquette of dining and defecating was reversed.

So, family and friends sit down to chat at the table with their pants pulled round their ankles, crapping into loos.

Someone gets up and excuses himself. Opening a door in the hallway, he finds a woman inside who's forgot to lock it, hunched with embarrassment over a plate of steak and chips.

Patti said...

holy crap...

Anonymous said...

That is truly horrible.

That said, my goal in life is to be so ridiculously rich that I can afford a solid gold toilet. Then I'll eat Taco Bell every day so I can use my new gold toilet. Too much information?

Steve Malley said...

I'm with you-- no way I'm eating out of one of those.

Remember that old fake SNL ad for 'the Love Toilet'? It had his 'n hers seats, so you could both go together...

That was also too much.

Barrie said...

Hmmm.....well, my 13 year old son would get a kick out of this restaurant!

J. L. Krueger said...

El,
This is so you! Thanks for sharing your pain.

Mary Witzl said...

Ello, there used to be a restaurant like this in New York City, I kid you not. My mother lived there during the 40s and swore she'd been there: they had toilet paper rolls for napkins and people ate out of gleaming white porcelain.

Anomynous person said...

When i went to the modern toilet in HK it was really cool, but when i tried to go to the bathroom, i saw two doors that looked like the door to bathrooms, so i just kept on pushing at the door for a few minutes until the waitress told me the toilet was on the door to my right where there was a giant sign that said restroom. Surprisingly, the restroom actually wasn't that impressive. Although, I think the number one eat at the modern toilet is the curry, which really looks like diarrhea.

Anomynous person said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Search This Blog